Plan Your Trip
To enter Tanzania, you are required to have at least 2 blank facing pages in your passport.
- Immigration officers will need to stamp your passport upon entry and exit. If your passport does not have any blank pages, you will need to obtain a new passport, or additional pages in your passport before traveling to Tanzania.
Safari Pack List
Best to dress in layers, as there is no heat or AC in the safari vehicles. You can begin on a chilly morning, but when the sun rises it can get warm.
To read the list in full, click on below button (Download PDF)
Hike Pack List
Layered clothing is recommended as temperatures can vary widely on the mountain.
To read the list in full, click on below button (Download PDF)
Terms and Conditions
- A deposit of 20% of your total trip price is due at time of booking.
- Final payment will be due 120 days in advance of travel.
- You can pay by credit card or bank transfer.
If you need to cancel your trip, please do so in writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicable refunds will be issued to the card used for payment
- Before 91 days or more in advance of departure:
- $260 admin fee per person, and balance of the deposit
- 90-61 days in advance to departure: 50% refund;
- 60-46 days in advance to departure: 35% refund;
- 45 days or less in advance to departure: nonrefundable.
At Excellent Guides Tours & Safaris the safety and well-being of our guests is our top priority. We take great care to ensure that our safari experiences are not only unforgettable, but also safe and responsible. Here are some of the protocols we have in place to ensure a safe and enjoyable safari experience:
You can go on safari in Tanzania year around! As we encounter the Great Migration, the seasons will bring different features and experiences to your safari.
Join us during the dry season, typically from June to October, as the migration reaches its climax. Witness the iconic river crossings, where thousands of animals brave the treacherous waters of the Mara and Grumeti rivers, desperately evading predators in a spectacle of life and death. Capture the intensity and emotion of this epic struggle, as the herd’s instinct for survival unfolds before your lens.
Alternatively, visit during the calving season, which occurs from late January to May, and witness the miracle of new life. Watch as the vast herds gather on the lush grasslands of the southern Serengeti and witness the birth of thousands of young wildebeest, zebras, and gazelles. This period is marked by abundant predator activity, creating extraordinary opportunities to capture heartwarming moments and the raw power of the African wilderness.
We offer a wide range of accommodations on our safaris to cater to different preferences and budgets. Here are some of our options:
- Luxury Lodges: Experience ultimate comfort and luxury in spacious, beautifully appointed lodges. These lodges often feature private chalets or suites with en-suite bathrooms, plush furnishings, and stunning views of the surrounding landscapes. Enjoy fine dining, spa facilities, swimming pools, and impeccable service during your stay.
- Tented Camps: Immerse yourself in the true spirit of the African safari with a stay in luxury tented camps. These camps offer spacious canvas tents with comfortable beds, en-suite bathrooms, and sometimes even private verandas. Tented camps provide a unique blend of comfort and a sense of adventure, allowing you to feel closer to nature.
- Mid-Range Lodges and Camps: If you’re looking for a comfortable and affordable option, mid-range lodges and camps are available. These accommodations offer comfortable rooms or tents with basic amenities, providing a cozy and convenient base for your safari adventures.
- Mobile Camps: For a more immersive and adventurous experience, mobile camps are set up in strategic locations to get you closer to wildlife. These camps are typically smaller and more basic than lodges or permanent camps but provide a genuine safari atmosphere, with comfortable tents, dining areas, and campfire evenings.
- Exclusive-Use Camps: For those seeking privacy and exclusivity, exclusive-use camps are available. These camps are ideal for families or groups, offering the entire camp for your exclusive use. Enjoy a personalized safari experience tailored to your preferences, with dedicated staff and a flexible schedule.
Regardless of the type of accommodation you choose, we prioritize comfort, safety, and an authentic safari experience. Each option allows you to immerse yourself in the natural surroundings and create lasting memories of your African adventure.
- Educational Experience:s Safaris provide a valuable educational experience for children. They have the chance to learn about different animal species, their behavior, and their natural habitats. It’s a hands-on opportunity to develop an appreciation for conservation, biodiversity, and the importance of protecting wildlife.
- Wildlife Encounters: Seeing wild animals in their natural habitat can be a transformative experience for children. It sparks curiosity, awe, and a sense of wonder. Witnessing elephants, lions, giraffes, and other iconic African species up close can leave a lasting impression and foster a lifelong love for wildlife.
- Bonding Time: Safaris offer quality bonding time for families. Exploring the wilderness together, sharing the excitement of spotting animals, and experiencing the beauty of nature strengthens family connections and creates shared memories that will be cherished for years to come.
- Adventure and Discovery: Going on a safari is an adventure in itself. It introduces children to new environments, landscapes, and cultures. They can learn about local traditions, interact with people from different backgrounds, and gain a broader perspective of the world.
- Outdoor Recreation: Safaris provide ample opportunities for outdoor activities and recreation. From game drives and guided walks to birdwatching and photography, there are plenty of ways for children to engage with the natural surroundings and develop a deeper connection with nature.
- Safety and Accessibility: We offer family-friendly accommodations, meals, and activities that ensure the comfort and well-being of children. Trained guides and rangers are knowledgeable about the behavior of wildlife and take necessary precautions to ensure a safe experience.
Excellent Guides Tours & Safaris provides various modes of transportation on our safaris to ensure comfortable and efficient travel between destinations and wildlife viewing areas. The specific transportation options may vary depending on the safari package and destination.
- 4×4 Safari Vehicles: We use rugged and spacious 4×4 safari vehicles, specially designed for optimal wildlife viewing and off-road capability. These vehicles are equipped with pop-up roofs, providing unobstructed views and excellent photography opportunities. They are driven by experienced and knowledgeable safari guides who will take you to prime wildlife spots and provide insightful commentary.
- Internal Flights: In some cases, particularly for safaris that cover vast distances or include remote destinations, internal flights may be included as part of the transportation. This allows you to quickly and comfortably reach different regions or national parks, maximizing your time for wildlife viewing and exploration.
- Boats and Canoes: Depending on the safari itinerary and location, there may be opportunities for boat safaris or canoe excursions. This is especially true in areas with rivers, lakes, or waterways, where you can spot aquatic wildlife, such as hippos, crocodiles, and various bird species. Experienced guides will accompany you on these water-based safaris, ensuring safety and providing valuable insights.
- Walking Safaris: For a more immersive and intimate experience, walking safaris are offered in certain areas. Accompanied by guides and trackers, you can explore the wilderness on foot, learning about the smaller details of the ecosystem, tracking animal signs, and observing wildlife from a different perspective.
Safety is always a priority, and our safari transportation options are carefully selected to ensure the well-being of our guests. All vehicles and modes of transportation are maintained to high standards and comply with local safety regulations.
Please note that the specific modes of transportation provided will depend on the safari package, destination, and individual preferences. Our safari experts can assist you in choosing the most suitable transportation options based on your requirements and desired safari experience.
We offer both private and group safaris to cater to different preferences and travel needs.
- Private Safaris are tailored specifically for you and your travel companions, whether you’re a couple, a family, or a group of friends. This option offers exclusivity and flexibility, allowing you to customize the itinerary, accommodation preferences, and activities according to your interests and preferences. You’ll have a dedicated guide and vehicle throughout your safari, ensuring personalized attention and the freedom to explore at your own pace.
- Group safaris bring together like-minded individuals who share a common interest in wildlife and exploration. These safaris have set departure dates and itineraries, and you’ll join a small group of fellow travelers – not more than 6 in a vehicle. Group safaris offer a social and interactive experience, providing opportunities to meet new people, share experiences, and make lasting connections. They are more cost-effective compared to private safaris due to shared expenses.
Both private and group safaris have their own advantages, and the choice ultimately depends on your preferences, budget, and the kind of experience you’re seeking. Whether you prefer the flexibility and exclusivity of a private safari or the camaraderie and affordability of a group safari, we can work with you to design the safari that best suits your needs. Our safari experts are available to discuss your requirements, provide recommendations, and help you choose the option that aligns with your travel goals.
A safari offers a rich and diverse array of wildlife, allowing you to witness some of Africa’s most iconic and captivating animals in their natural habitats. Here are some of the wildlife species you can expect to see:
- Lions: Tanzania is renowned for its lion populations, and you have a good chance of encountering these majestic predators during your safari. The Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater are particularly known for their healthy lion populations.
- Elephants: Tanzania is home to large herds of elephants, offering incredible opportunities to observe these gentle giants. Tarangire National Park is famous for its elephant gatherings during the dry season.
- Giraffes: These elegant creatures can be spotted gracefully wandering the savannahs. Tarangire National Park and the Serengeti are popular locations to see giraffes.
- Zebras and Wildebeest: The Great Migration, one of nature’s most remarkable events, sees vast herds of zebras and wildebeest traveling across the Serengeti in search of fresh grazing grounds. Witnessing this spectacle is a true highlight of a Tanzania safari.
- Cheetahs: Tanzania’s open plains provide an ideal habitat for cheetahs. The Serengeti and Tarangire National Park are among the best places to spot these incredible predators.
- Rhinos: While rhinos are critically endangered, there are efforts to protect and conserve them in Tanzania. The Ngorongoro Crater is one of the few places where you may have a chance to see both black and white rhinos.
- Hippos and Crocodiles: Tanzania’s rivers and lakes are home to large populations of hippos and crocodiles. The Rufiji River in the Selous Game Reserve and the Grumeti River in the Serengeti are excellent locations for sightings.
- Birds: Tanzania boasts a rich birdlife, with over 1,000 bird species. From vibrant kingfishers and flamingos to majestic eagles and ostriches, birdwatching enthusiasts will be in their element.
Each national park and conservation area has its own unique habitats and species, ensuring a diverse and unforgettable wildlife experience. Your safari guide will be knowledgeable about the local fauna, ensuring you make the most of your wildlife encounters.
Yes, interacting with the local people can be a wonderful part of your safari experience. Tanzania is a culturally diverse country with numerous ethnic groups, each with their own unique traditions, languages, and ways of life.
- Cultural Visits: Many safari itineraries include visits to local villages or cultural centers, where you can learn about the traditional customs, lifestyles, and arts of the local communities. This offers an opportunity to interact with villagers, witness traditional dances, participate in craft demonstrations, and gain insight into their daily routines.
- Maasai Community: The Maasai people are one of the well-known ethnic groups in Tanzania. Some safari destinations, such as the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Conservation Area, provide opportunities to visit Maasai villages and learn about their unique way of life. Engaging with the Maasai can offer valuable cultural exchanges and a chance to understand their rich heritage.
- Local Markets: Exploring local markets is a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of Tanzania. These bustling marketplaces are filled with colorful produce, crafts, and local delicacies. You can interact with traders, learn about traditional ingredients, and perhaps even purchase souvenirs directly from local artisans.
It’s important to approach interactions with respect and an open mind, valuing the cultural differences and traditions of the local people. Engaging in responsible tourism practices and supporting local initiatives can contribute positively to the communities you visit.
We recommend that you book as far in advance as possible to ensure availability. This is especially important for travelers on private safaris. It also allows time to find the best pricing and availability on your international flights.
Excellent Guides Tours & Safaris packages include all accommodations, meals, water (including meals on game drives), airport transfers, park fees and the services of guides and drivers – as specified on the itineraries.
International airfare is not included.
Additional costs include gratuities for your guides, lodges and hotels, porters, bar, additional laundry service, phone calls, passport and visa fees, souvenirs and travel insurance.
Recommended gratuities: For hotels, lodges, camp staff and Guides, please allow this budget (In US$) per person per day:
- $2.00 – $4.00 for lodge and hotel staff – you’ll find a general tip box at each lodge, so no need to tip individually – unless you choose to
- $1.00 per bag for porters
- $10.00-$12.00 per person per day for driver-guides – you’ll be with your guide for the duration of your safari, so best to tip once at the end. That also saves you from carrying around a bunch of small bills.